How to Remove Soap Scum?
Soap scum is also named as lime soap. It is actually a white solid that is composed of Magnesium Stearate, Calcium Stearate, as well as other similar Alkali metallic derivatives made up of fatty acids. Due to the presence of these materials, the addition of soapy, as well as, anionic surfactants can be seen when combined with hard water. This effect is significantly seen when a bar soap is used. But the reason isn’t just the bar soap; there can be other soapy substances as well.
Let’s see some of the ways to clean the stubborn soap scum from a variety of surfaces:
HOW TO REMOVE SOAP SCUM?
Learning how to remove soap scum from faucets and showerheads will save you a lot of money in the long run. These things can be very expensive so if you are cleaning them every time you use the water they should be taken care of as soon as possible. The two common parts that you can find on faucets and showerheads are the chrome base and the metal hoses that are connected to it. Here are a few tips on how to remove soap scum from these pieces.
Clean the Chrome Base First
First, you require to make sure that the chrome base is clean. If it is not, then you may have to replace it. Most likely, you will have to remove the old one and replace it with a new one. Then you will need to spray some soap scum remover around the base and then let it sit for a minute or two. After that, you will need to scrub it thoroughly.
Clean the Metal Hoses Secondarily
Next, we will take a look at how to remove soap scum from the hoses that connect the chrome to the hoses that connect the showerhead to the faucet. Again, this is going to require that you take the faucet apart and clean out the hoses. As you can see, there are four hoses that are connected to the faucet, so you will need to remove all of them and then clean them off. Once that is done, you will then need to wash the chrome base and then clean it off. Finally, you will need to scrub it to remove any remaining soap scum from it.
1. How to Clean Soap Scum from Glass Shower Doors?
Many people intend to know how to remove soap scum from glass shower enclosures. The first thing to do is to make sure that your glass shower doors are clean. For some reason, people think that the glass will automatically keep soap scum off of it. That is completely the opposite of the truth. If you want to keep soap scum off of your glass shower doors, you have to use an abrasive that is designed to not allow soap scum to stick to it.
- To get started on how to clean soap scum from glass shower doors, the first thing you want to do is use a bit of dish soap on the door.
- The next step is to brush the soap scum off of the glass shower doors.
- You should be able to get the majority of the soap scum off of the door with this method.
- The last step is to clean off the area around the door with an anti-static cleaner.
2. How to Clean Soap Scum from Fiberglass Shower Enclosures?
There are a few simple steps you can take when you’re willing to remove soap scum from glass shower enclosures. The most important step is to never ever allow soap scum to sit in the shower for long periods of time. This is because soap scum will oxidize and turn brownish and brown spots will form. The brown spots will be very difficult to remove if left there for any length of time.
- It is recommended that you only use a sponge when washing the soap scum from fiberglass shower enclosures. A sponge is able to clean the soap scum from fiberglass shower enclosures in a gentler manner and can usually remove even the very stubborn spots.
- When washing with a sponge, it is essential that you also dip the sponge into a solution having one tablespoon of baking soda per gallon of water.
3. Clean Soap Scum from Metal Shower and Sink Fixtures
There are many problems that can happen inside the bathroom. The problem is that sometimes, the soap scum comes off the toiletry bag from the bathtub and the sink. This can be a serious problem because soap scum is a chemical that can be harmful if it falls on the floor or spills on the countertop.
- It is very important to use cleaning products like baking soda that are meant for bathroom use when you want to clean soap scum from the metal shower and sink fixtures.
- It is also important for you to avoid harsh cleansers that might cause harm to the surface of the bathroom sink. You can try to find other kinds of cleansers, but you should first learn how to clean soap scum from the metal shower and sink fixtures.
4. Clean Soap Scum from Ceramic Tiles
There are many different ways to clean soap scum from ceramic tiles.
- For small pieces of soap scum, it is a good idea to scrub them off with a sponge.
- If they have been in contact with oil, you should use laundry detergent to clean them off and a soft brush to brush them off.
- If the soap scum were small pieces of soap and not large globules, then you should make a paste full of baking soda and water.
- You can use a wet piece of cloth to rub the paste on the soap scum.
- After you have cleaned the soap scum off, you can then sprinkle some baking soda on the surface. This will ensure that it will not touch the tile anymore.
5. Clean Soap Scum from Natural Stone Tiles
This is a problem that people have when cleaning their bathroom or kitchen. What should you do? How can you prevent this to happen?
- The first thing that you require to know is how to clean soap scum from natural stone tiles. There are several methodologies that you can clean it up. The best way is to let it soak for at least a couple of hours. While you are soaking, it will start to dry. Once it is dry, you can then scrub it away.
- The second option is to try to apply some type of lubricant. This usually works if the soap scum has not been rinsed off well.
- Lastly, you can try using an acid-based cleaner.
6. Clean Soap Scum from Fabric and Plastic Shower Curtains
How to clean soap scum from fabric and plastic shower curtains? It seems like they are so easily damaged that they are difficult to clean. They even stain so easily that you can only imagine how dirty they get before you clean them. The simple answer to the query is to use over the top scrubbing.
- You should use a mild detergent when cleaning them. Try using the same detergent that you would use for a stain on the interior of your house.
- Never use any abrasive scrubbing methods. Using such methods will only cause damage to further. The most effective way to clean soap scum from fabric and plastic curtains is to spray them down with a water-based spray that is specially designed for the purpose.
- A fine mist is sprayed onto the fabric and plastic curtains, and the cleaning process begins.