What Is A Podiatrist? How Can I Find The Best Podiatrist Near Me?
Where can I find the best podiatrist near me? Is this question roaming in your mind at the moment? Then you have come to the right place.
No one plans to be a podiatric patient, but unfortunately, here you are. About 75% of the US population will experience major foot health problems. In this scenario, a podiatric physician is the best solution for all your foot problems.
Below we have mentioned some of the best guidelines by following which you can find a good podiatrist near you.
What is a Podiatrist?
A podiatrist is a medical specialist who helps in treating problems affecting your lower leg or feet. They can also treat injuries and complications from regular health issues like diabetes. They are commonly called podiatric physicians.
Why See A Podiatrist With Problems In Your Feet?
Your feet are an intricate anatomical structure that is combined with 52 bones. This makes one-quarter of all the bones of your body. Your feet serve as stabilizers, propulsion engines, and shock absorbers simultaneously.
Your ankles are the stable and strongest hinge of the body. They help you with twisting and bending in three different directions. Your ankles should support 150% of body weight when walking and 800% when running.
Your ankles and feet require expert care from specialists, physicians who focus on training, talent, and experience-based solely on the conditions affecting your ankles and feet.
A podiatrist will guarantee the services of an expert physician who is highly qualified to provide a remedy for your ankle and feet problems.
How To Find The Best Podiatrist Near Me?
Here are some simple steps by which you can find the best podiatrist near you.
- To mark a good start, ask your friends, neighbors, or relatives for references who have been treated with a foot condition like plantar fasciitis, bunions, ingrown toenails, hammertoe, etc., then interrogate each other of the options considering their quality and nature of the care they received.
- Make use of the power of the internet. You can find many best and modern foot doctors online. You can also complete your research of references by checking their online presence and geographic accessibility.
- Look for podiatrists who are both affiliated and board-certified from a reputed hospital. Always put podiatrists first who train other podiatrists when doing any treatments.
- Shortlist podiatrists who have the most positive reviews from recently treated patients.
- Also, make sure that the podiatrist is a member of the practice and is equipped with the latest diagnostic tools and treatment equipment in the clinic.
- The best podiatrist will always have a competent staff of qualified therapists and have readily available physical therapy with sports medicine.
- Confine your podiatrist research to doctors whose members are conversant with advanced and up-to-date techniques.
- Once you have shortlisted a podiatrist who is geographically available and satisfies all of the above-mentioned steps, make sure to call them. Ask if they specialize in the problem you are facing and find out when you can make an appointment.
What conditions can Podiatrists treat?
Some conditions that podiatrist treat includes corn calluses, fungal toenail, athletes’ foot, cracked heels, flat feet, excessive sweating, heel pain, bunions, gout, blisters, and many other foot problems.
Does insurance cover podiatrists?
Usually, ankle and foot services provided by a podiatrist are covered in health insurance plans. Most podiatrists participate in public as well as private health insurance plans. You can also check your health insurance company whether their foot and ankle services are covered in their plan.
Should I go to a podiatrist or orthopedist?
If you have a condition, symptom, or injury that affects your ankle or foot health, it is advised to see your podiatrist. If you have any condition, symptom, or injury that affects another part of the musculoskeletal system, you should see an orthopedic physician.
Do podiatrists cut toenails?
Yes, a podiatrist helps in assisting with toenail care. Cutting toenails may seem like a matter of grooming, but many patients with problems with their toenails cannot cut them without professional help.
What can a podiatrist do for foot pain?
Podiatrists are specialized doctors for treating strains, sprains, and broken bones of the ankle or foot. They diagnose the injury and can even suggest a treatment. A podiatrist also helps in making flexible casting for the injured area.
Should I see a podiatrist or orthopedist for Achilles tendonitis?
Podiatrists are highly specialized in medical training who are the best go-to doctors for the treatment and diagnosis of conditions that affect ankles and feet. Orthopedists are specialists in the musculoskeletal system.
Is a podiatrist considered a physician?
Podiatrists are defined as general physicians by the government. That helps in treating, preventing, and diagnosis of lower extremity disorders, injuries, and diseases.
When should you see a podiatrist?
If you are facing any health issues relating to your ankle or foot like arthritis/joint pain, skin problem, a sports injury, etc., you should visit a podiatrist. These are specialists in managing and treating all the symptoms involving foot and ankle.