The Right Way To Follow 10-Step Skincare Regimen
Looking for an effective 10-step regimen for your morning and night skincare routine? Remember that following the right order of skincare products is what matters the most whether you are following a 4-step or 10-step routine.
If your products do not penetrate the skin properly, then there is no point of a skincare routine.
In this article, we have made a proper 10-step skin care regimen to follow in the morning as well as night.
What is the right Morning Skincare Routine?
The main aim of morning skincare routine and steps is to prevent and protect the skin from harsh sun rays and pollution. In our daily lives, your face is exposed to various outside environmental factors, which makes applying moisturizer and sunscreen necessary. It is not easy to layer skincare products. Follow this guide to master the order of morning skincare routine products.
Basic morning routine
These are simple skin care steps that you must follow every morning before stepping out of your house. It is important to follow the right order of skincare products.
Cleanser- It helps in removing the pollution and dust residue that usually builds up at night.
Moisturizer- Keeping the skin hydrated is important. There are different forms of moisturizer available in the market, like in gels, creams or balm texture.
Sunscreen- It helps in providing protection to the skin against the UV rays damage.
The Right Order Of Skincare Products for Morning Routine
Step 1: Oil-based cleanser
- The cleanser comes in two different forms: oil-based and water-based.
- How to use it: oil-based cleansers work magic on wet skin. Water-based cleansers are good to use on dry skin. Massage the cleanser properly and rinse with water thoroughly and pat dry your face with a clean towel.
Step 2: Water-based cleanser
- Water-based cleansers contain surfactants. These are basic ingredients that help to rinse away sweat and dirt with water.
- How to use it: Massage the product into wet skin and rinse thoroughly with water.
Step 3: Toner or astringent
- Toners help in replenishing skin with proper hydration and removing dead skin cells after cleansing. Astringents are alcohol-based products that help in preventing excess oil production.
- How to use it: tap the products on your skin right after cleansing. You can use a cotton pad or directly apply it with your fingers in an outward motion.
Step 4: Antioxidant Serum
- The serum contains ingredients in high concentration. Antioxidant based serums protect the skin against free radical damage. Vitamin E and Vitamin C are the most common antioxidants that keep the skin firm and texture free.
- You can also look for ingredients like resveratrol, caffeine and green tea.
- How to use it: pat a few drops of Serum on your neck and face.
Step 5: Spot treatment
- If you see any blemish on your face, your first step should be to remove it using anti-inflammatory products then use spot-treatment to clear the mark. You need to use a skin care product targeted to reduce infection like growing cyst under the skin.
- How to use it: you can use a cotton swab to remove any skin care product from the affected area. Apply the spot treatment product and leave it to dry.
Step 6: Eye cream
- The skin around our eyes is thinner and very sensitive. This is where the first signs of the ageing show, including puffiness, fine lines and darkness.
- Using a good quality eye cream will help in smoothening, brightening and firming up the area under your eyes. Eye cream will not remove the fine lines but help in delaying them.
- How to use it: take a small amount of product under eyes and dab it using your ring finger.
Step 7: Lighter face oil
- Always remember one thing when it comes to the order of skincare products. The thinner and lighter consistency products should always be applied first. Similarly, facial oils are easily absorbable and should be used before moisturizers. Oils help in minimizing the skin dryness, dehydration or flakiness.
- How to use it: take a few drops of facial oil on your fingertips and rub them together to warm the product a little bit.
Step 8: Moisturizer
- Moisturizer helps in soothing and softening the skin. If you have dry skin type, then pick a balm or cream textured moisturizer. Thick creams work best for combination or normal skin. People with oily skin type should choose a gel or water-based moisturizers.
- Look for ingredients like ceramides, glycerine, peptides and antioxidants.
- How to use it: Take a pea-sized amount of moisturizer and warm it in your hands. Apply the product on the cheeks and then on the rest of the face in upward strokes.
Step 9: Heavier face oil
- Thick oils take some time to get absorbed into the skin. These are best suitable for dry skin category people and should be applied after moisturizers.
- How to use it: apply it in the same way you will apply a lighter oil.
Step 10: Sunscreen
- Sunscreen is a very critical part of morning skincare routine. It not only helps in reducing the risk of skin cancer but also fights signs of ageing. You should pick a sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher.
- How to use it: spread sunscreen liberally all over your face and neck. Massage it nicely. Make sure to apply the product 15-30 minutes before stepping out.
What is the Right Night Skin Care Routine Order?
Night skincare steps help in repairing the damage done on our skin during the day time by using thicker products at night. Nighttime is the best to use products like chemical peels or physical exfoliants that make your skin sensitive to sunlight.
Basic Night Skin care routine
Makeup remover- makeup remover is necessary to get rid of any makeup that you might have applied during the day.
Cleanser- cleanser will remove any remaining grime and dirt.
Spot treatment- The best time to treat breakouts is at night using drying and anti-inflammatory products.
Night cream or sleep mask- use a rich moisturizer to help in skin repair while you sleep.
Step 1: Oil-based makeup remover
- The first and mandatory products to be used in the order of skincare products is a makeup remover. Oil-based cleansers help to break the natural oils and ingredients of makeup.
- How to use it: Apply the makeup remover using a cotton pad on wet or dry skin as per the instructions mentioned on the package.
Step 2: Water-based cleanser
- Water-based cleansers react with dirt and makeup left on the skin and help in rinsing away everything with water.
- How to use it: apply the product on wet skin and massage nicely before rinsing with cool water. Pat dry with a towel.
Step 3: Exfoliator or clay mask
- Exfoliation is a great way to remove dead skin cells and decongesting pores. Clay mask work wonders to unclog pores and is a must to include night skin care routine.
- How to use it: Apply a clay mask once or twice on your face and specifically on problem areas. Once it dries, wash it with warm water and pat dry with a clean towel.
- When using an exfoliant, follow the instructions mentioned on the product package.
Step 4: Hydrating mist or toner
- A toner or hydrating mist marks the end of your night time skin care and cleansing routine order. Look for toners that contain hyaluronic acid, lactic acid and glycerine to give your skin a moisture boost.
- How to use it: Spritz mists all over the face and use a cotton pad to gently apply the toner.
Step 5: Acid treatment
- Acid treatments are becoming quite popular these days. It may sound scary, but acid skincare treatments help to boost cell turnover.
- If you are a beginner, start with glycolic acid. Later on, you can move up to hyaluronic acid to moisturize and acne-busting salicylic acid. With regular use, you will notice brighter and even-toned complexion.
- How to use it: start using it once a week. Do a patch test on your chin first. Add a few drops of the acid solution on a cotton pad and sweep it gently across your face. Do not come close to your eyes.
Step 6: Serums and essences
- Serums help to deliver ingredients directly into the skin, whereas essence is a water-based version. Vitamin E is great for dry skin, whereas green tea-based serums work best on the dull complexion. Try Vitamin C, or retinol if you are prone to breakouts.
- How to use it: Do a patch test 24 hours before using it on the entire face. If you find no side effects, rake some product in your hand and press into the skin gently.
Step 8: Hydrating mask or Serum
- Certain products can clog your pores, but hydrating masks do not do so. Hydrating Serum or masks are great for dry skin as they pack a real punch of moisture.
- How to use it: Hydrating masks come in various forms. Some come in sheet mask form while others as a serum. Follow the instructions mentioned on the package and apply it at the end of your night skincare routine order.
Step 9: Eye cream
- Night eye cream helps in improving the appearance of fine lines and tiredness. Look for an eye cream that is rich in antioxidants and peptides.
- How to use it: apply a small amount of eye cream under your eyes and dab it.
Step 10: Face oil
- Night time is perfect for adding oil in your skincare steps and routine. This is ideal for dehydrated skin. Apply thick oils that make sure to hydrate your skin really well.
- How to use it: take a few drops of oil onto your palm, warm it up and apply them directly to your face to get the best results.
Step 11: Night cream or a sleep mask
- A night cream is an optional step to include in the order of skincare products. These creams help in protecting skin and also repairing cells. Sleep masks seal in all the products containing hydrating ingredients to keep overnight.
- How to use it: take a small amount of product in your hand and apply it evenly on your face.
Learning how to layer skincare products is not a difficult task. Following the right order of skincare products in your morning or night routine is essential for the best results.
You do not have to feel pressured to include all the ten-step routines in your regimen. Follow the basic principle of applying the products from thinnest to thickest in your skin care steps.
The important thing is to find a routine that works for you and suits your lifestyle. It’s never too late to experiment.